.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hindustan without the Hindu

Friday, February 20, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire!

I hate it when movies get too much hype. It never lives up, with a couple exceptions. This was not one of them. It was a great movie, but it was a bit “lacking” as one of my friends said. This is the first Indian movie I’ve covered, or at least slightly Indian movie, so I’ll do it a bit differently.

Cinematography:
Pretty decent. I liked the locations and especially loved the exposure of the REAL India. The organized begging, “singing blind kids earn double” was something few in this damn country knew about for years. It also brought back a fair few memories of India. I was THERE. I was FUCKING THERE. Don’t ask.

Acting:
For an Indian movie, surprisingly present. Frieda Pinto was pretty good, as were her juvenile counterparts. A great portrayal of the shitty life of beautiful Indian girls who are also poor. Sexy henna too. The role of Jamaal was done best by the teenage version I think. Dev Patel didn’t have much acting to do, just stern faced and pissed, or happy. Also, I’m still pissed at Anil Kapoor. Don’t ask.

Randomness of Beatings:
It worked well this time. Usually its pointless fights all the time. Kinda gets boring. If you watch other Hindi movies, it’s mostly “You said hi to this girl I love. I’M GONNA KILL YOU!” It was a bit refreshing actually.

Music/Dancing:
Hmm… The first song was well done. Nothing to complain about. The finale wasn’t that great. It looked really rehearsed and robotic. And Dev looked really intimidated by Frieda. It was very awkward. Although the two little kid versions dancing was soooooooo cute. I missed the teenage versions dancing, but it wasn’t necessary.

Overall, great movie. Not a theater flick though. I was a bit disappointed. Rent it or buy it on DVD, but it’s a movie to enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home